John lives in Warsaw in the district, last year he worked as a programmer in an IT company that is located in the business center of the Moniuszki Tower. He worked remotely, but recently Jan was asked to move to the office. Sensing the charm of the morning public transport trips during rush hours, he started thinking about buying a car and tried to commute to work by taxi. But what is more profitable - a car or a taxi?
Settlement of expenses for taxi travel and for the operation of a passenger car
For comparison, we took the three most popular cars in Poland according to the Moto.pl website: Skoda Fabia, Opel Astra and Volkswagen Golf. Average fuel consumption was calculated while passing Stokłosy station to Stanisława Moniuszki street (10 km one and 10 km to the other side), average expenses for insurance, service, washing and parking in the center of Warsaw. We counted these costs and we received the total amount of expenses for the car. We compared this amount with the average Uber account for the same journey. The final amount was multiplied by 264 business days. Here are our results:
Expenses for traveling to work by car are smaller by 47-60% compared to taxi
But if you add a car to your expenses, there will be other results. Price list of the cheapest cars (standard equipment) is:
- Skoda Fabia 1.0 MPI MT Active - PLN 45,000.
- Opel Astra J 1.6 MT - 50,000 PLN
- Skoda Octavia III 1.2 TSI ACTIVE - 60,000 PLN
Car experts say that the car should be changed after 10 years. An old car can be sold for 1/3 of its value. This means that when you buy a new car, you must add 7% to your annual expenses. We will check what the amount will be:
- Skoda Fabia 1.0 MPI MT Active - 3150 PLN
- Opel Astra J 1.6 MT - 3500 PLN
- Skoda Octavia III 1.2 TSI ACTIVE - 4200 PLN
To sum up annual expenses for a car, it turns out that the car is more profitable, but not much can be saved.
Taxi or used car
Of course, you can buy a used car for 15-20 thousand. zł. But in this case, the cost of its operation will be twice as high as compared to the new car.
According to Spider's Web, the cost of servicing a new car, taking into account the costs of fuel, service and insurance, is 0.98 PLN per kilometer. However, after 6 years of operation, car expenses increase to PLN 1.91 per kilometer.
Do not forget about intangible factors when choosing a vehicle. Both the car and the taxi have their advantages.
The advantages of owning a car
- Suitable for every trip. You can go on a trip around Poland or on holiday abroad, go to the mountains in summer.
- Always at hand. There are times when you do not have time to wait for a taxi. When you need to go to the hospital immediately or you have several meetings in one part of the city within 1 day - the car is the perfect solution.
- You can easily carry things. Anyone who has done repairs and ordered huge furniture and building materials at least once in his life knows how his own car can help.
- Satisfaction with driving a car. For many people this is an important argument when buying your own car. You will never compare your fast driving with your own car and place in the back seat of a taxi.
The advantages of a taxi
- It saves a lot of time and effort. Even an experienced driver who loves his car says that wasting time for trips to a car service, to an insurance company, searching for parking spaces is very tiring. When you order a taxi, you do not even think about it.
- There is no need to be concentrated and sober all the time. The car owner can rest only when he returns home. When you order a taxi, you can relax. Always be aware of the sobriety of car owners. It seems a trifle, but it is not very interesting - always be the only man who does not drink at the party because you have to take your family or friends with you by car.